Last updated: July 2019
“Professional(s)” means individuals, companies and other organizations or persons engaged in a business relevant to the Sites, including, without limitation, extended car warranty providers and other auto service professionals.
“Consumer” (or “consumer”) has its ordinary meaning but generally includes any visitor to or user of the Sites other than Professionals.
Except as otherwise indicated, Professionals, consumers and other persons using the Sites are individually and collectively referred to as “you,” and Compare Car Warranties, together with its affiliates, is referred to as, “Site, “we”, “us” and “our.”
We use the Sites to provide you with information, resources, tools, products and services specific to the auto products and services industry and related markets, and to provide you with information about us and our advertisers, and our respective products and services.
To that end, we want you to understand what kinds of information we gather about you, how this information, particularly Personal Information (defined below), is used and safeguarded, and how you can control its use.
Information Collected Information You Provide: We collect information that you provide to us when you inquire about or purchase products and/or services through this Site. If you refuse to provide any requested information (whether or not required), you may not be able to take full advantage of this Site and its features. That information may include your (a) name, (b) address, (c) e-mail address, (d) telephone number, and (e) credit or debit card number.
In some cases, we may collect additional information you provide, such as your age, date of birth, gender, occupation, and education level. On our financial services Sites, with your consent, we may collect your Social Security number to verify your identity with a credit bureau and obtain your credit report and credit score. On certain Sites, we may also collect from you information about your contacts, such as their email address, to share an article or other content.
Information from Third Parties: We may also collect information about you from third parties, like credit reporting agencies or a social media site or a plug-in you use to log into or connect to this Site, and authorize to send us information from that social media account (e.g., name, age, photo). We may associate or combine the information you provide through this Site with this information collected from third parties.
Information Automatically Collected: When you use this Site, the server may automatically recognize you by a “cookie” or other tracking technology. These technologies act as unique identifiers and allow us to tailor this Site to your specified interests and keep track of your activity on this Site. This information may be added to your user profile and used to deliver offers and advertisements that we believe are relevant to your interests.
Furthermore, we may retrieve certain information from your browser (e.g., browser type, referrer URL, date and time of your visit, IP address) and device (e.g., MAC address, device type, screen resolution, and OS version). We use this information to monitor this Site’s performance, analyze traffic patterns and usage, ensure that this Site and any transactions function properly, and gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. This information also may be appended to your user profile so that we may further tailor this Site to your interests and send offers to you based on such information.
Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures: Certain parts of this Site require cookies, and we may use them to deliver more relevant advertising and to link data collected across other devices you use. You can adjust your settings to limit tracking or decline cookies, but as a result you may not be able to use certain features of this Site or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device or browser settings for more information on how to delete or decline cookies and control your tracking preferences. This Site does not respond to do not track signals from most browsers.
We may use the information we collect from and about you through this Site (a) to connect you with third-party partners who will provide information about products and services; (b) to respond to your inquiries and requests (e.g., newsletters); (c) to market to you and keep you informed of our products and services and/or those of our third-party partners, which we think may be of interest to you; (d) to develop new products and enhance and improve our Sites and business; (e) to complete and fulfill any purchase you make; and (f) to use your data in an aggregated, non-specific format for analytic and demographic purposes. Your contact information also may be used to reach you when necessary. With your consent, we may use automated decision-making, including profiling, to analyze the information collected from and about you.
We have a lawful basis for collecting and processing your information if (a) you consented to such processing; (b) we have a legitimate interest for processing your data, like analytics, fraud prevention, improving our Sites and our business, and direct marketing.
Additionally, we may share your information (a) with other Businesses; (b) with third-party partners who will provide you with information about their product and services; (c) with our third-party service providers who provide services like payment processing, IT, and data analysis; (d) with national credit bureaus to verify your identity and obtain your credit report and credit score, where applicable; (e) if you seek insurance quotes, with financial services providers who offer competitive rates and/or the Department of Motor Vehicles to verify your driving record, previous claims history, and vehicle VINs; and (f) with a third party in the event of a sale or transfer of all or part of our business (including in connection with any bankruptcy proceeding).
Leads and Referrals
If you participate in or inquire about any lead, referral or similar service we may offer:
- We may use the information you submit, as well as other data we might have or obtain ourselves or from other sources (for example, from cookies), to determine which of our participating Professional(s) may be willing, able and/or compatible to serve your needs or possible interests and to assist them or others in doing so.
- We may forward or share information relating to you, which may include such information as well as Personal Information obtained through our sign-up form or otherwise, to certain Professional(s), which may sometimes include multiple Professionals (such as in cases where a given Professional has a marketing or business relationship with one or more other Professionals and designates them to receive such information, or in cases where the nature of a product, service or feature offered on or through a Site is designed to involve participation by multiple Professionals). Those Professionals or their affiliates, contractors, advertisers, agents or other designees may use such information and contact you regarding your needs or possible interests, as may we ourselves. We always endeavor to make clear when your information is being shared with other Professionals.
We have taken certain physical, technical, and administrative steps to protect the information we collect from and about Site users. Please remember, though, that that neither the transmission of information over the Internet nor the storage of information can ever be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure please immediately notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not knowingly collect, use, or share the personal information of children under age 18 and this Site is not directed to individuals under 18. If we are made aware that we have collected personal information from an individual under age 18 we will delete this information as soon as possible.
Choices and Access
Additional EU Disclosures:
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
- Where you have consented to a certain use of your personal data
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation
- To the extent permitted under applicable laws, we will also process, transfer, disclose and preserve personal data when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.
Pinta Corporation is the data controller of all personal data collected through our Web site. If you are situated in the EU and have any complaints regarding our privacy practices, you have the right to make a complaint at any time to your local Supervisory Authority. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach your Supervisory Authority so please contact us in the first instance. If you have a complaint, please contact our privacy manager at email@example.com.
Provision of personal data and failure to provide personal data:
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with our services). In this case, we will not be able to provide services to you.
Collection of Personal Information from third party sources:
We also collect personal data about you from various third parties and public sources.
Withdrawing your consent:
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may transfer personal data from the EU to the USA and other countries, some of which have not been determined by the European Commission to have an adequate level of data protection. If we transfer personal data outside the EU to a processor, such transfer will be in compliance with the requirements of the GDPR.
Use of your personal data for marketing purposes:
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising:
- Promotional offers from us: We may use your personal data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you (we call this marketing). You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or used our services and, in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
- Third-party marketing: We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any company outside of Three Ships and its related businesses for marketing purposes.
To see how you can opt out of marketing communications, please see the section titled “Opt-Out”.
Data Subject Rights:
If you are situated in the EU, under GDPR, as a data subject, you have the following rights:
- Right to access – This right allows individuals to obtain confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning him or her is being process and provide access to such personal data. It also allows individuals to request details of the processing of his or her personal data, including, without limitation, categories of recipients to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed and purposes of processing.
- Right to rectify – This right allows individuals to rectify any inaccurate personal data about him or her.
- Right to restrict processing – This right allows individuals to block or suppress processing of personal data under certain circumstances.
- Right to be forgotten – This right is also known as the “right to erasure”. It is an individual’s right to have personal data erased or to prevent processing in specific circumstances.
- Right of data portability – This right allows individuals to move, copy or transfer personal data from one place to another in a secure manner without interrupting the integrity and usability of the information.
- Right to object to processing – This right allows individuals to object to certain types of processing, including direct marketing, profiling and providing for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics.
To exercise your rights under the GDPR, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that in order for you to assert these rights, we may need to verify your identity to confirm your right to access your personal data. This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. In order to verify your identity, we may need to gather more personal data from you than we currently have.
We will retain your personal information for as long as is needed to provide you with our products and services, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Operation of Our Site and Business
Our Site and business are operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States any information you provide to us will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using this Site or providing us with your personal information, you consent to have your personal information transferred to and processed and stored in the United States in the absence of an adequacy decision or the appropriate safeguards set forth in Articles 45 and 46, respectively, of the General Data Protection Regulation.
Your California Privacy Rights