Extended car warranty services — also known as vehicle service contracts (VSC) — protect you when your vehicle breaks down. The cost associated with it varies, but is ultimately a cost-saving measure. After all, you aren’t stuck paying thousands of dollars when your car needs an unexpected repair! Instead, you’ve paid a reasonable monthly fee that protects your wallet when the time comes, in the same way that auto insurance does.
In this guide, we’ll walk through how much extended warranty plans typically cost. Now, these numbers are meant to give you a general idea of the pricing, but the best way to know for yourself is to get personalized quotes from companies you’re considering. Pricing varies by location, vehicle, and more.
Below you’ll find our top recommendations for warranty companies. It’s easy to get a no-commitment quote from any or all of them — just click or call below.
How Much Does an Extended Warranty Cost?
There are three types of costs to keep in mind when considering an extended warranty plan:
- Down payment. Some providers require that you pay an initial amount at the start of your contract.
- Monthly premium. This is the price you may monthly, similar to an insurance premium.
- Deductible. At the point of service, you’ll pay a set amount — rather than paying out of pocket for the full repair cost.
Our researchers have pulled together pricing from the top companies throughout the industry. Below are industry ranges:
- Down payment: $0 to $350
- Monthly premium: $85 to $250
- Deductible: $0 to $250
Below is a table with some additional provider-specific cost averages. Note: It’s best to get quotes for yourself, which will give you the most accurate idea of what these plans would cost for you.
How Much Can I Save with an Extended Warranty?
It’s no secret that the cost of auto repairs really adds up. In fact, the average annual cost of owning a car is $8,469, according to AAA.
We selected a few common car repairs and found what they cost. With an extended warranty, these repairs could be covered and save you hundreds of dollars.
|Car Repair||Average Repair Cost||Cost with Extended Warranty|
|Fuel injector replacement||$1,009–$1,416||$0|
|Steering column replacement||$450–$1,100||$0|
Why Purchase an Auto Warranty?
- No surprise repair bills. Breakdowns rarely happen at a convenient time. An extended car warranty allows you to be financially prepared.
- Save money. Did you know the cost of an extended warranty is cheaper than many common car repairs?
- Get more life out of your car. People often drive their cars longer than manufacturer warranties last. An extended warranty protects you for years to come.
- Get peace of mind. Knowing you’re covered and not having to stress out-of-pocket repairs put your mind at ease.
Are These Warranties Worth It?
The average vehicle owner keeps their vehicle for 6.5 years, but rarely do factory warranties last that long. Typically these only last for three years, which means that without an extended warranty, your car is unprotected for more than half of the time you have it.
Moreover, extended auto warranties pay for themselves after just one major repair — It has the potential to save you a lot of money! Ultimately, the value of an extended warranty depends on the reliability of your car and the cost of the repairs it needs. We recommend getting a minimum of 3 quotes to compare pricing for your specific vehicle, location, and more.